This Way Ahead - First Jobs
This Way Ahead We believe in the power of a first job
Gap Inc. created This Way Ahead in 2007 to help youth ages 16-24 from low-income communities get a foot in the door for a life-changing first job. Because our Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Athleta and Distribution Center employees mentor the program participants, This Way Ahead also builds our retail employees’ leadership and management skills. We’ve also integrated the program into our recruitment strategy to help Gap Inc. stores build a valuable talent pipeline of future employees.
Our goal is that 5% of new entry-level store hires will be graduates of This Way Ahead by 2025. To reach that goal, we expect 10,000 youth to participate in This Way Ahead by 2020.
Check out the latest This Way Ahead news here.
5% of new entry-level store hires will be graduates of This Way Ahead by 2025
- Our employees connect with community partners who provide youth with job training and volunteer to teach youth skills they need to get and keep a job.
- When our teams are looking for high-potential talent, they interview youth and hire for potential, not credential. Learn more about store manager and volunteer, Athena White.
- When This Way Ahead associates begin working, they receive post-hire support including ongoing coaching from their store manager and a job coach from the community partner. They’re also paired with a Big Sib, a seasoned peer who serves as their go-to for questions + advice.
Over a Decade of Impact
Since the launch of This Way Ahead in 2007, we have measured substantial social and business benefits. You can download our alumni report here.
We are continually refining This Way Ahead based on data we collect and feedback we receive from community partners, participants and employee volunteers. Given external trends, we have built a program that is responsive to the changing landscape for young employees. As we expand the program to achieve our goals, we are testing different models tailored to different geographic markets.
“Everybody deserves a chance to be developed. Not just a job, but a career. This company makes you want to show up and do your best.”
Dashawn (learn more about Dashawn here)
This Way Ahead Alumnus, New York City 2013
Current Department Manager at Old Navy
"Without this program, I’d still be applying for jobs, but wouldn’t have the confidence to get very far. This opportunity made me realize it was always in my nature to help people. Thanks to This Way Ahead, today, I’m just being who I am.”
This Way Ahead Alumna, Los Angeles 2015
Current Associate at Gap Brand
We run This Way Ahead in close partnership with youth-serving community partners in over 50 cities across the US, Canada, UK + Japan:
- West: Los Angeles, CA; Portland, OR; Salem, OR; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA
- Northeast: Boston, MA; Columbia, MD; Harrisburg, PA; Hartford, CT; New York NY; Philadelphia, PA; Shrewsbury, NJ
- Midwest: Chicago, IL; Cleveland, OH; Columbus, OH; Green Bay, WI; Kansas City, MO; Kenosha, WI; Milwaukee, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Oklahoma City, OK; Omaha, NE; St Louis, MO
- Southwest: Austin, TX; Houston, TX; Mesa, AZ; San Antonio, TX; Scottsdale, AZ
- Southeast: Atlanta, GA; Columbia, SC; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Gallatin, TN; Memphis, TN; Miami, FL; Nashville, TN; Knoxville, TN; Raleigh, NC; Sarasota, FL
Canada: Calgary, AB; Toronto, ON; Vancouver, BC
- England: Bath; Birmingham; Bristol; Essex; London; Manchester; Newcastle; Newport; Portsmouth
- Northern Ireland: Belfast
- Scotland: Edinburgh; Glasglow
- Wales: Cardiff