Benefits, Scheduling + Safety
Benefits, Scheduling + Safety Flexibility, work-life integration and rewards for performance
Our workplace culture and benefits are designed to meet the professional and personal needs of our employees and their families. For retail employees in particular, we improved wages and scheduling practices so that the people who work in our stores experience greater stability and flexibility.
Benefits and Work-Life Integration
We offer financial incentives, work-life integration and benefits aimed at helping our employees make the most of their professional and personal lives. This supports employees and increases their engagement at work, which contributes value to our business. In 2017, we received recognition from the Business of Fashion’s Best Fashion Companies to Work For as a Top Performer in Rewards and Benefits, highlighting our pay-for-performance philosophy.
Financial incentives, work-life integration and benefits all play a key role in helping our employees lead more fulfilling professional and personal lives.
A number of our departments offer flexible scheduling to shift the emphasis from where and when work is conducted to the results delivered. This results-driven model lets employees adjust their schedules and the way they work to suit their personal needs and circumstances.
We also offer other programs designed to accommodate the different needs of our employees and their families. These programs include:
- Nationwide Family Support: U.S. full- and part-time employees have online access to child-, elder- and pet-care resources. Full-time U.S. employees also benefit from back-up childcare and priority access to nationwide childcare centers.
- Leave: U.S. employees can take extended time off from work to manage the demands of their family and personal lives.
- Phase In/Phase Out: Eligible employees can temporarily reduce their work hours before, during or after maternity or family leaves of absence.
We also provide a number of additional benefits that make up a significant portion of their overall compensation package and are intended to help our people and their families lead healthier, more productive lives:
- Health and wellness benefits: We offer full medical, dental and vision coverage for full-time employees.
- Financial benefits:
- GapShare 401(k) plan matches employees’ contributions dollar for dollar up to 4% of base pay, with 100% immediate vesting.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) allows full- and part-time employees to purchase Gap Inc. stock at a 15% discount quarterly.
- Work-life balance and lifestyle benefits:
- We provide generous paid time off (PTO) that increases with promotion and seniority.
- Our Employee Merchandise Discount Program gives full- and part-time U.S. employees up to 50% off at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, as well as 25% off at Athleta.
- We also offer tuition reimbursement, wellness programs and commuter benefits.
- Community investment benefits: The Gap Foundation matches or supplements employees’ contributions of money or time to eligible nonprofits.
To promote stability and flexibility for retail employees, we have taken steps to raise our U.S. hourly minimum wage and improve scheduling practices.
Wages and Scheduling: Promoting Stability and Flexibility for Retail Employees
Our store and other hourly employees are especially sensitive to wages and scheduling—they greatly affect employees’ ability to make ends meet and fulfill family obligations, undertake academic or other pursuits and plan their lives. To promote stability and flexibility for retail employees, we have taken steps to raise our U.S. hourly minimum wage and improve scheduling practices, including eliminating on-call scheduling and providing employees with at least 10 to 14 days’ notice for their schedules.
We were one of the first U.S. retailers to increase our U.S. minimum hourly rate. The increase took effect in two stages: In June 2014, we raised the minimum hourly rate to $9, and in June 2015, we raised it again to $10.
Ensuring Worker Safety
When it comes to attracting and retaining employees, we are dedicated to fundamental worker safety. We strive to prevent and promptly address any employee work-related injuries.
We have a centralized online reporting system that tracks all incidents and injuries.
We analyze the information at least quarterly to assess risks and develop preventive measures. Our internal claims team and safety department analyze recurring injuries or issues to determine if current policies or practices need to be amended or if more training is required to address risks. Our independent Internal Audit department audits health and safety risks and processes. We incorporate results into the performance evaluations and compensation of relevant personnel.
For data on workplace health and safety, please see our Data Tables.